School Operations and Procedures – A letter from Principal Jones
Posted: | Updated:
August 30th, 2021
As you begin to prepare for the start of school Rainier View educators want to make sure that you have some important information that will help you know what to expect for the 2021-22 School Year.
Rainier View Start of School Information and Procedures
Wednesday, September 1st is the first day of school for 1st-5th grade students.
Kindergarten will have a delayed start to school to allow teachers to hold virtual Family Connection Conferences September 1st-3rd and 7th -8th. Kindergarten students will attend their 1st day of class on September 9th.
- Student Start and Dismissal Times: 7:55am-2:25pm
- Supervision: 7:30am – 7:55am-2:25pm
- School starts: 7:55am
- Early release Wednesday – 1:10pm (Full Day-First Day of School)
- School Office Hours: 7:30am – 3:00pm
- Phone 206-252-6700
- Principal email- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students should not arrive before 7:30 am. All students and adults must wear masks when on school grounds and as well as the building site.
- Grab & Go Breakfast will be available for students beginning at 7:30-7:50. They will eat inside the cafeteria, socially distanced.
- No daily health screeners are required for student entry into school, but we do ask that if your child is feeling sick or ill that you keep them home for the day.
- There will be grade level entrances for the 2021-22 school year
- Once students have entered the playground area before 7:50, they will be dismissed for class at 7:50. At 7:50 teachers will come escort students to their class.
- Students who arrive after the 7:55 start bell should go to the main office and use the main entry door bell
Dismissal Procedures 2:25 (1:10 PM on Wednesdays)
- Students will be dismissed from their classroom entry. Parents please pick students up from their classroom entry
- Bus riders will be escorted to their assigned bus
- If your child is planning to walk home, please let your child’s teacher know Wednesday, September 1st.
Meals – Breakfast and Lunch
All students will be provided free breakfast and lunch during the 2021- 22 school year. Parents are encouraged to complete Free and reduced lunch forms to be able to receive reduced fees on activities as well as forms with nutrition services with regard to any allergy or dietary restrictions your student may have.
Rainier View Lunch Plan
Plan requirements include physical distancing to the greatest extent possible by using alternative spaces . Our current plan for the start of school includes 3 lunch periods and offers indoor eating opportunities for classrooms on a rotating basis. (See sample schedule below)
1st Lunch – Kindergarten/First Grade
2nd Lunch – 2nd and 3rd grade
3rd Lunch – 4th and 5th grade
iPad and Laptop’s devices will be distributed to student on September 2nd and 3rd to students during the school day. A device agreements will be sent home with students and signed copies will need to be returned on Thursday or Friday when students pick up their device. If your student did not turn a device at the end of last school year, they will not need to check out a new one.
Supplies are provided for Rainier View students.
Health and Safety Information
Seattle Public Schools and the staff of Rainier View Elementary are committed to partnering with families to promote health and safety as we return to in-person learning. Each of us plays a role in maintaining a learning environment that supports education and focuses on health and safety. As we return to school, we know how important it is to keep health and safety at the forefront of our practice.
- Visitors/Families: – In response to an increase in COVID-19 in our community beginning all Sept. 1, 2021 until Friday, October 29, 2021 no visitors on site. All parent meetings with educators will be held virtually via TEAMS. If you need to pick up your child please call the office so that we can arrange to walk them out when you arrive.
Building Preparation-Public Health guidelines, including federal, state, and public health frameworks and processes for reopening, of K-12 schools are being followed and implemented. Below are some examples of the training and procedures that are being implemented in preparation for Rainier View students to return to the building. Additional information can be found here on the SPS 2021-2022 School Year: 180 Days of Excellence external page
- Building HVAC systems have been inspected and approved for school for school opening
- PPE has been provided to each classroom. Staff has received materials and training on health and safety protocols, and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) A thirty-workday supply of PPE is available in the building to meet the needs of students and staff.
- Routines and procedures for movement throughout the building that comply with social distancing guidelines
- Cleaning schedule for high traffic areas
- Establishment of school based COVID Safety Team
- Protected Health Care Room; notification protocols and procedures for Contact Tracing if necessary
- Appropriate health and safety signage throughout the building.
Face Masks/Personal Protective Equipment
Face Masks or appropriate face coverings must be worn at all times except when eating or drinking. If students do not have a face mask or the face masks they are wearing becomes damages, a new mask will be provided. If your PK-12 student cannot consistently wear a face covering or maintain physical distancing, please notify the main office of your school. We also encourage families to have a conversation with your health care provider if your child has a health condition that puts them at greater risk for severe disease should they be exposed to COVID-19.
Physical Distancing and Handwashing
Classroom. To reduce the transmission of the virus in the school environment, all effort will be made to maintain 3ft of social distancing between students in the classroom to the extent possible. Desks have been placed in the classroom to accommodate this configuration
Recess: Playground zones and play equipment will be monitored by supervisors to maintain
social distancing and safety during recess periods.
We look forward to seeing you on September 1st ! Please free to contact us at 206-252-6700 if you have further questions.
Anitra Jones, Principal
Rainier View Elementary